The Clever Boys' Namibian flair

Bidvest Wits striker reflects back on the 2015/16 PSL season.
Henrico Botes- Bidvest Wits
Henrico Botes who plays for local PSL team, Bidvest Wits, recently spoke to The L.A Dosage on his childhood in Namibia, hanging up his national team boots and reflecting on the 2015/16 season. Here's what the lanky striker had to say:

The L.A Dosage: Who is Henrico Botes in 5 words?

Henrico Botes: God fearing,Honest,Dedicated, Compassionate,Lovable. 

The L.A Dosage: What is your most significant football memory to date?

Henrico Botes: The first time I represented my national team,and signing my first professional contract.

The L.A Dosage: You were born and bred in Namibia. Tell us briefly about your childhood growing up?

Henrico Botes: I was born in a small town called Rehoboth. I had normal childhood growing up,participated in all kinds of sport(Volleyball,Rugby,Basketball,Athletics,Football etc). I would say that I was an all-round good athlete; excelled in rugby and football especially.

The L.A Dosage: Having played for your national team and a few PSL teams; tell us more about the style of football in both countries.

Henrico Botes: South Africa and Namibia's style of play is very similar.South Africa is blessed with a good infrastructure and one of the best professional leagues on the continent.I am of the opinion that they should be more dominant on the continent.

Henrico Botes- Bidvest Wits
The L.A Dosage: How did your move to South African football come about?

Henrico Botes: We don't have a professional league back home and I used to work as a banker for FNB and Standard Bank and playing football.Gavin Hunt saw me while representing my country in the Cosafa Cup.He obviously liked what he saw and I signed my first professional contract with Moroka Swallows in 2005.

The L.A Dosage: You hung up your national team boots last year. Can you take us through the emotions at that time as this was a significant part of your life. 

Botes representing his national team
Henrico Botes: Representing my national team was and still remains the most important chapter in my career.There is no words to describe the feeling I got while singing my National Anthem!!!

The L.A Dosage: What has been the highlight of your football career to date?

Henrico Botes: I am blessed to still be able to play competitively and playing professionally for the last 11 years.

The L.A Dosage: You’re regarded as a veteran in the Bidvest Wits team. How has this journey been for you? I.e. the players, relationship with the coach, match days etc

Henrico Botes: We as senior players have an important role to play in the setup.The spirit and togetherness at Wits is something to behold.Our head coach is one of the most passionate individuals I know,and it rubs off on the team.

The L.A Dosage: Let’s reflect back on this season. Take us through the positives and negatives as a player.

Henrico Botes: We certainly exceeded expectations by finishing second,but we expected more from ourselves and should have pushed Sundowns harder.We certainly punched above our weight,but in the end Sundowns was the most consistent team and deserve all the accolades.

Henrico Botes in action for The Clever Boys
The L.A Dosage: What are your goals and plans for the next season?

Henrico Botes: My prayer is to remain injury free and to continue playing and contributing to this game I love so much!!!

The L.A Dosage: What is your message to the die hard Clever Boys' fans?

Henrico Botes: Our fans were fantastic this season and that helped us to give our best in every match.I would like to ask the Blue and White Army to please continue supporting the team and who knows trophies might follow soon. #Nakanjani.

                      

The L.A Dosage: Where can we find on you on social media?

Henrico Botes: You can find me on the following:

Facebook: Henrico Botes

Twitter: @_henna9

Instagram: - @_hennab9


Ladies and gentlemen! That's a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ. We would like wish Henrico and The Clever Boys, an even better 2016/17 season. #Nakanjani

Till next time. . .  

Comments