Caleb Tennant: TLB Monster Energy Yamaha

Caleb Tennant is a Motocross racer for the TLB Monster Energy Yamaha  team, and a 4 x South African national champion to sum him up altogether.

My passion for adventure increased a little more when I interviewed yet another motocross athlete. He is only 20 years young but he has managed to break some records, and is still making a name for himself. Here's what he had to say:

LM: What is your biggest accomplishment in your sports?
Caleb Tennant with rival Anthony Raynard






CT: My biggest accomplishment to date is winning the South African championships 4x; after having crashed in the 2nd round, but came back strong and had to win all rounds in order to come out tops.

LM: Who has been your biggest competitor on tracks?
CT: Calvin Vlaarenden has been my biggest competitor since I started racing till about 2010 when he moved to Europe to much greater heights. Thereafter it has been Anthony Raynard, who is my biggest competitor locally.                  

LM: Who influenced you in your most early years?
CT: My dad was a great influence on me. He actually raced before me and then the genes were pretty much passed on to me, and motivated me to carry the sport on. And another great influence has been John Wakefield who is my mentor and trainer. Aspires me to be a great influence on the tracks and in life in general.

LM: If you could not race for whatever reason, what would your career choice be?
Caleb Tennant #444 stunting with his Yamaha

CT: Well that's always been a challenging one for me in terms of not knowing what to do; but I'd say a stunt performer for film adventure sports. I am that passionate about motocross and being a rider that I'd definitely perform stunts in the industry.

LM: 3 words to describe motocross for those who don't know the sport well?
CT: "Whoa!! Uhm,good question." I would say high risk, incredibly technical and physically demanding. That's the best way I can explain it.

LM: How important are the fans in this sport?
CT: Fans are huge. Fans keep you motivated in an enormous way. They are there to help the sport grow and keep it alive; and also keep a hype around you as the athlete. Without any fans, there would be no sponsors, races and no money. Hence we appreciate every fan we have whether 1 or a thousand.

LM: How do you maintain a good mental attitude before race day?
CT: I tend to put pressure on myself, which is not the best thing at times. I try to be confident, well-prepared and make sure I know the track every well before race day.
The 4x champion showing mid-air who's boss
LM: Who sponsors you to be able to keep your career going?
CT: Well it a very expensive sport but thanks to T.L.B, Pelotrain, Monster Energy Yamaha team, CPR, T.R.P, Hylton Beattie, My dad, my mechanic Shaun, Von Zipper and Fist Handwear. They have been of great support with my motocross career.

LM: What experience would you like to leave the game with?
CT: I would like to be known in S.A as the rider that had so much influence in the sport. A great inspiration to the younger generations; and a great ambassador especially to those who have been sponsoring me to be able to be the rider I am till this point.

LM: Advice for aspiring motocross racers/athletes?
CT: My advice would be that all those aspirant riders to decide if motocross is their passion or just a hobby. To put their all in it if they decide to make something out of the sport. To always remember that it is very risky but to have fun at the same time. And most importantly to find a mentor or coach who will steer you into the right direction and always be there to motivate you be the best you can be.


Well I am absolutely stoked for what these athletes have to offer on the dirty tracks or mid-air too in the next year. It was an absolute pleasure meeting and interviewing Caleb. One of many legends in the making.
To know more about Caleb#444 and his stunts on his Yamaha, you may do so on the following platforms:




Till next time. . .


Comments