Jonathan Boynton-Lee: The Presenter. The Actor. The Writer

Jonathan Boynton-Lee- The only South African to have ever won two popular reality shows (Top Billing presenter search and Strictly Come Dancing S7). 

I was very fortunate to have met S.A's sexiest man; and be granted the time to have a one-on-one session, and have the lowdown on what makes him tick, and how he just manages to remain so humble in this media industry. Here's what went down:

LM: What do you like most about your profession?
JBL: Every single bit of it, which equates to "way too many things to mention".

LM: What do you like least?
JBL: There's honestly nothing that I don't like, not a single thing.

LM: How long have you been doing this?
JBL: Been with Top Billing for just over two years, but I've been in the entertainment industry since I left Rhodes in '99.

LM: Should your parents have been more strict or less strict?
JBL: They were just the perfect amount of strict.

LM: How was your childhood?
JBL: Perfect. I'm so thankful for a "childhood that was filled with imagination and playing outside rather than apps and how many likes you can get on a picture."

LM: Are you happier now?
JBL: Happier than I've ever been.

LM: If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?
JBL: Nothing.

LM: What do you do in your spare time?
JBL: In the very little spare time I have, I like to spend it with family or just being alone, spending time with myself, recharging.

LM: Are you politically active?
JBL: Not really.

LM: Do you do any volunteer work?
JBL: Plenty! Every opportunity I get. It's one of my biggest passions. "The only way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."

LM: When are you completely satisfied with your work?
JBL: When I know I have given my absolute best.

LM: Why have you succeeded in your field where so many others have failed?
JBL: Patience, tenacity, passion, humility, and never giving up on my dreams no matter what. I never let anybody tell me what I could and couldn't do. I had a dream and I went on and got it.

LM: What's the magic formula for success?
JBL: Don't just dream at night. Dream all day. Dream for a living.

LM: Who do you enjoy working with the most?
JBL: Everyone that I work with. I make sure I'm surrounded by people that are as passionate and driven as I am.

LM: How much do you draw on your own experience when you act?
JBL: Depends on what the performance requires. Luckily I've had many life experiences to draw from.

LM: What do you do if you find yourself acting in your real-life relationships?
JBL: I never act in real life, what you see is what you get.

LM: If you could star in a re-make of a classic film, who would you want to play?
JBL: That's a really tough one, there are so many classic roles I'd love to play. So I'm gonna give a top three. 

-Humphrey Bogarts; Rick Blaine from Casablanca.

-For something a bit darker and challenging, De Niro's defining role as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

-And of course the ultimate one for me would be to play James Bond in a remake of all the early Sean Connery classic James Bond movies.

LM: How do you feel about nude scenes?
JBL: If they're necessary and tasteful, I have no problem.

LM: Do you think there's too much violence in TV and movies?
JBL: Yes and no. Some movies and TV programs handle it really well. Others sensationalize it and over do it with very little skill and sensitivity.

LM: What work are you most proud of?
JBL: Everything I've ever done, even the failed projects.

LM: Is there anything you've done that you'd like to burn all copies of?
JBL: No, it's good to laugh at stuff like that. See how far you've come. The idea of burying the past has always been foreign to me. It's what molded us, we should embrace it, and be thankful for it.

LM: Are there any actors who turned out to be nothing like you thought they'd be?
JBL: All the actors I've interviewed have been amazing, no disappointments yet.

LM: When was the last time you told a lie?
JBL: Can't remember the last time I lied.

LM: Who is your celebrity crush?
JBL: I have many.

LM: How do you define your style?
JBL: It's a reflection of me. I never feel the need to try and emulate trends, or dress to impress others. I just strive to be comfortable in my own skin, happy with who I am, flaws and all. My style is a reflection of that.

LM: Advice for aspiring actors/actresses?
JBL: "Don't just dream at night, dream all day, dream for a living."

Many thanks to the ever so gorgeous, Jonathan for taking his time out to do this interview. He is a great force to be reckoned with in our generation, and I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

To know more about him, you may do so on the following platforms:



Till next time. . . .

Comments

  1. Gorgeous man. You are so lucky to have had face to face with him _👌

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment