Introducing James Keene for Bidvest Wits

 From European fields to playing on African soil

James Keene, a product of the Portsmouth system, recently signed with one of South Africa's top Premier Soccer Leagues' club, Bidvest Wits.Keene previously played for Swedish sides; GAIS, IF Elfsborg and IF Djurgarden. He went onto play for the Israeli Premier League and Indian Super League respectively.

The L.A Dosage had the opportunity to interview the English footballer to chat about his new life in South Africa and playing in the PSL. Here's what he had to say:

The L.A Dosage: What's your first football memory?


Keene with Portsmouth
James Keene: Probably when I was a kid playing for my local team, and we won the title but the one to date was definitely watching my dad play football, trying to act out the Manchester United team and being the best players. 

The L.A Dosage: You are a product of the Portsmouth youth system, can you take us through that?

James Keene: I started as a schoolboy there at the age of 14. We would train 2 to 3 times a week to play matches on a Saturday or Sunday. Then they selected 6 kids from my team to be apprentices with Portsmouth, then we were full time. We were trained everyday, cleaning the boots and also attending school at the same time. It was tough being an apprentice because we weren't getting paid like the pros but you were guaranteed that you were always busy.

The L.A Dosage: How do you think that's formed your football career now?

James Keene: Football is about working hard and gaining the necessary respect. It was a matter of having to respect the pros who were much older than you were. If they told you to get the ball, you had to do exactly that. It set the ground for the footballer I wanted to be. You show people respect and you get that back, from working hard and doing things the right way. Nowadays some kids get it easy, they play one game and they are a star. Compared to my days where you had to do something, play a lot of games to get somewhere, become somebody. 

The L.A Dosage: What would you say has been your biggest highlight of your career?

James Keene: It would probably be the time I made my Premier league debut. That's definitely a time I cherish.

The L.A Dosage: You also played for the Israeli Premier League and Indian Super League. Take us through that journey.


Keene playing for NorthEast United FC
James Keene: I had been with them for a long, long time. I wanted a change, to experience something different you know. Sometimes you stay in a place for too long and want to get going. I could've signed a contract with my team and stayed there but I was really wanting that change and with such, you learn a lot about yourself. It was a great time for me, learned a lot about different cultures and they have passionate football fans that's for sure. I enjoyed my time in Tel Aviv. India was more of an adventure, a lot of great players in the league. It was a great deal to be a part of this league and being one of the players in the first ISL was a big deal for sure.

The L.A Dosage: Where would  you say you draw your inspiration from?

James Keene: My family for sure. They've always been hardworking people. They have done a lot for me. Always supportive with my football career. They had to always drive to practice 2 to 3 times a week which was 2 hours away from our house and to matches on Sundays. Sometimes to London which was 4 hours away; and handling full time jobs at the same time. They never complained. They have always been fantastic and I give credit to them.

The L.A Dosage: Having played abroad and now in the PSL. What's the most significant difference between the leagues?

James Keene: Well here in the PSL there is so much quality, the skills and technique and what the players can do with the ball is amazing. Sometimes you forget the object of the game because you have to win it, it doesn't have to be pretty for you to win the game. Whereas in Europe, it doesn't matter how you play and do; you win the game. Sometimes in the PSL, it's a bit of a shuffle with the fantastic skills; its an amazing ability but you still have to win the game.

The L.A Dosage: You have previously had a trial with Kaizer Chiefs. How did that go about?


Keene on trial with Kaizer Chiefs
James Keene: It went absolutely well, I enjoyed myself. Met some great people. It's great club. There was hope but you know that's football you have to move on.

The L.A Dosage: Now, you are playing for Bidvest Wits, how did the move go about, your relationship with coach Gavin Hunt, and the players?


Image:KICKOFF- Keene with Bidvest Wits
James Keene: Yeah. I heard about the club sometime back and they obviously heard about me when I was on trial with Kaizer Chiefs. Gavin liked the way I played and the kind of footballer I was going to be for him. So I came to meet the club back in November on trial and got on very well with Gavin and the players. I have got a lot of respect for him and I like the way he works; always bringing out the best in the players. He sets the standard, and doesn't allow you to go below that. He knows the quality he has, and even when you lacking a little confidence, he will work towards bringing it back up. The players are great and it's always great to come into the dressing room everyday and everyone is happy. It's a great place to be in really.

The L.A Dosage: Lastly, what are your goals going forward in the PSL?


Keene taking on a Chippa United player
James Keene: I wanna do well of course.I am here to win things and be a part of the team that's challenging the title. I want to play and contribute in some great wins. It's really great to be a part of this team and the great performances they are putting up towards the title race.


We wish James Keene all the best with his future in the PSL. We look forward to seeing more of his talent on the field.

To know more about the footballer you may do so on the following platforms or catch him with his team Bidvest Wits on your telly ;)

Twitter: @28Jkeene

Instagram: @jameskeene_official

Till next time. . . 

Comments

Post a Comment