Julia Stuart: She who reigns sport supreme

Beauty and brains are setting trends in sport
Luigi Bennett Photography
Julia Stuart, affectionately known as Jules is a Sports Presenter on SuperSport, SuperSport Blitz as a Voice Over and has a sports column in the local Daily Voice newspaper. She is not only a beauty; but has the brains to back it all up with a degree in Film and Media from the University of Cape Town and Honours in media theory and practice in the bag.

The L.A Dosage has a knack for sport and we love seeing women succeed in this industry, so we took up the opportunity to interview Jules, and here's what she had to say about being paid to watch sport:

The L.A Dosage: You are currently a presenter on SuperSport. Tell us more about that and what your job entails.

Julia Stuart: There are different duties depending on what I’m working on, which incidentally means no two days are the same. If I’m working on SuperSport Blitz it’s voice-overs and script writing of live events or breaking sports news. 

When I’m touchline at a football match then it's interviews with coaches and players pre and post match, it’s a bit of analysis and a lot of fishing for info. And when I’m in the studio on Monday Night Football it is a bit more relaxed than a live match environment but I would also have done plenty of research before like watching matches – or catching up on them if I’ve worked on SA football the weekend – and reading up about the latest issues.

The L.A Dosage: What is the best thing you have learned working for such a huge broadcaster, especially it being male-dominated?

Julia Stuart: Instagram

Julia Stuart:
I’m still learning all the time, I’ve only been at SuperSport a year so I still feel there’s so much I don’t know. The one thing I do think is very important is to maintain this attitude, to always maintain that humility. I am so blessed to work with the best presenters in the business and so many former players and expert analysts that I am constantly learning, constantly asking questions to try and make the most of the knowledge around me. You have to keep learning and asking questions, it is the only way to progress.

The L.A Dosage: You also have a football column in the Daily Voice. That must be fun. Tell us more.

Julia Stuart: I started my career at the Daily Voice as a freelance rugby writer then intern during my Honours year at university. I owe so much to the platform I was given there because they invested in me, sent me to Dublin to learn how to write tabloid style and how to design newspaper pages. 

I eventually became sports editor and that’s how I started getting called to do TV and radio work, my first appearance was on Thursday Night Live with Marawa! So when I left the paper it was hard to cut ties, this explains why I still write for them. It’s a blank canvas for me to fill with my thoughts once a week and I’m grateful for it. Also, because it’s a column in a tabloid I sometimes get to do fun things I wouldn’t get away with in a broadsheet.

The L.A Dosage: What other big projects have you done and succeeded the most in?

Julia Stuart: I think becoming an anchor at etv was pretty big. It happened quickly, within 6 months of joining the company as a junior sports reporter. I actually can’t think of any other big projects, to be honest; I feel like my career has been one big project overall.

Julia Stuart: Instagram

The L.A Dosage: Of course the million-dollar question. Which teams do you support locally and internationally?

Julia Stuart: I don’t have a local team. I always want the Cape sides to do well because I’m from there but I don’t actively support an SA team. And now that I work in football I’m so glad for that. 
If you happen to wear a colour similar to that of one of the teams playing on the day the coaches and players together with social media will give you so much flak for it. Imagine if I actually supported a team! I also love being neutral in SA football because I’m an Arsenal fanatic and to be honest there’s only so much heartache one person can handle.

The L.A Dosage: If you had to invite 5 phenomenal people to your dinner party, who would it be and what would be your main topic of choice?

Julia Stuart: Wow this is such a tough one! I would certainly invite:

- Pele
- Beyonce
- Oprah
- Serena Williams
- Trevor Noah
Trevor Noah: Courtesy of TraceMobile
I’d basically just be asking questions all night long. About success, staying ahead of the game, winning, creating, pioneering and of course Trevor Noah would be making jokes.
  
[We agree with you on Trevor Noah. What a character ;) ]

The L.A Dosage: What are you currently reading and what is on your bookshelf?

Julia Stuart: Girlboss is the book I’m reading now. What an inspiration, I love the little messages at the start of each chapter. And then next on my hitlist is Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. My bookshelf is fairly limited because a lot of my books are packed up in boxes in my dad’s attic. But I did bring a collection of Sports books which I will start re-reading. Just the usual stuff like Fever Pitch, Football in the Sun and shadow, Brilliant Orange and a couple of biographies.

The L.A Dosage: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?

Julia Stuart: I am a kick ass baker. Baked Cheesecake is my specialty.

[There you go. Come on boys, wife the lady now ;)]

The L.A Dosage: What is your beauty and exercise regime?

Julia Stuart: In terms of beauty I’m all for speed. 

I use Environ face wash and moisturizer and I’m out the door. So that means I have to eat properly to keep my skin breakout free. 

What I also find works amazingly for your skin is Herbalife Aloe Concentrate, just gives you that glow and gets you drinking your 2L of water a day with ease. Also once or twice a week I’ll use coconut oil for a bit of extra hydration. I’m not even sure if that’s a thing but I feel like it works.

Exercise: I’ve been really disciplined lately because with my schedule it can be so easy to get lazy. So I run three and then I’m into the Sweat with Kayla app, the BBG program. It’s really kicking my butt!

The L.A Dosage: What is your greatest indulgence?

Julia Stuart: Shoes!! Without a doubt. I’ve managed to curb myself lately because I’m saving up but as I’m writing this I realize I bought two pairs this weekend.

[Shoes are girl's best friend. Guilty as charged.]

The L.A Dosage: Where do you see yourself in, let’s say, 10 years?

Julia Stuart: I’d love to have sustainability in this industry. It’s notoriously difficult for women because we’re not really meant to age. So I’d love to break down that barrier. And then I’d like to have a family at some point.

The L.A Dosage: What is the best advice you’ve been given to survive this cutthroat industry as a female?

Julia Stuart: If they don’t pay your bills or your salary, their opinions don’t count! It’s something I still struggle to remember but it’s great advice. People will judge you based on your weight, hairstyle or even lipstick choice. Just do you.

The L.A Dosage: Whom do you regard as your greatest role model?

Julia Stuart: My mom. She’s independent and generous and one of the hardest workers I know.


Julia Stuart: Instagram

The L.A Dosage: What is next for you this year as you have such a busy schedule?

Julia Stuart: I’m just going to try and get through May as a first step! The football season is coming to an end and then there will be awards and so forth so it’s going to be busy. I’ve got a big tournament coming up soon as well which will see me heading overseas for a few weeks. 

The L.A Dosage: What advice would you give your 16-year-old self?

Julia Stuart: Stop caring what other people think. Also, stop worrying, everything will work out as it is meant to.

The L.A Dosage: Which social media platforms can your fans and readers follow you on?

Julia Stuart: You can catch me on the following platforms:

Instagram: Julia_Stuart

Twitter: @JuliaStuart_SA

Facebook Page: Julia Stuart

Ladies and gentlemen! That's a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ. We thoroughly enjoyed this interview with Miss Stuart and we wish her all the success in her future endeavours in the sports industry. This is a perfect example of a woman who should be celebrated amongst others.

Till next time. . .  

Comments

Post a Comment