Trail running with Ryan Sandes

South African trail runner conquers the unthinkable
Craig Kolesky/ Red Bull Content Pool
Ryan Sandes is a South African trail runner who's feet have taken him across the Chile's Atacama desert and Egypt's Sahara. In 2012, he tackled Namibia's Fish river Cantin and slammed the record set in 2003, of 10 hours and 54 minutes, just short of four hours. Ryan ran the second largest canyon in the world in just 6 hours and 57 minutes. Through the running and all the extreme runner obtained a BSc in Construction and boasts Honours in Quantity Surveying from the University of Cape Town; which proves that education is very important no matter the path you choose to take. 

Craig Kolesky/Red Bull Content Pool
With that said, The L.A Dosage had an opportunity to chat with the man of the trails and find out what he had to say about his new found passion and more about his recently launched book 'Trailblazer'. 

The L.A Dosage: In 2010, you became the first competitor to have won all four of the 4 Desert Races. Tell us more about that.

Ryan Sandes: Yes it was one of the highlights of my career and a very special moment for me. I won all four of the 4 Desert Races. They are 250km self-supported foot races across the Gobi, Atacama, Sahara and Antartica Deserts. This was where my career started and my love for running ultra long distances began. The most special race for me was the first one, The Gobi Desert race, as my victory, there was very unexpected.

The L.A Dosage: With that said, what other achievements do you have in the bag and which one stands out for you the most?

Ryan Sandes: That's a hard one. Winning the Leadville 100 or TransGranCanaria come to mind and setting a fastest known time for the Fish River Canyon Trail and Drakensberg Traverse are highlights. I am also very proud of winning an ultra trail on every continent. However after writing my book I have realised that it is the small things I am most proud of. I won a K9 Search and Rescue 4km race with our dog T-Dog (Thandi) - looking back now I am pretty proud of that.

The L.A Dosage: When did you start trail running and how did you know you'd make a career out of it?

Ryan Sandes: I started running in 2006 during my final year at university while doing my honours in Quantity Surveying. I had some friends running a half marathon so I decided to join them. I enjoyed the initial challenge of setting myself a goal and then achieving it. I really enjoy the freedom trail running gives me and it is a form of escape from reality. There is nothing to worry about when running. In 2009, I decided to take a bit of a risk and start running full-time. I did not have enough sponsorship to get by on a monthly basis yet but I had some money saved. Luckily the risk paid off and it all worked out for me.


®Droz
The L.A Dosage: How would you describe trail running in 3 words?

Ryan Sandes: Freedom, Travel and Fulfilment.

[I think we could grab our takkies and hit the trails.]

The L.A Dosage: What training do you do in preparation for races/competitions?

Ryan Sandes: It varies;depending on the race I am training for. I have reduced my mileage a bit over the last year as I think ultra runners tend to overdo things. I run on average about 12 - 22 hours a week and then do some strength and mobility work on top of that. It's important to make sure your body is moving correctly and efficiently to run your best

The L.A Dosage: Injury and recovery are big topics amongst runners. How do you prevent this and what tips would you give other trail runners?

Ryan Sandes: It is really important to take an off-season every year and take some time off from trail running. You can still be active but do something else like riding your bike, paddling etc. I try and spend some time in the gym doing some strength work before my season starts as I find this helps me start the season strong and it ‘bulletproofs me’. During the season, I do a lot of movement and mobility work to make sure I am running as efficiently as possible. 

The L.A Dosage: What significant challenge do you recall during a race or training that you overcame?


Craig Kolesky/ Red Bull Content Pool
Ryan Sandes: It’s important to stay calm and to focus on the positives. When I am going through a tough situation; I break the run down into mini goals and just focus on getting through one kilometre at a time. Mentally I find this more achievable and it helps me get through these low patches in a race. I sprained my ankle right at the start of the 210km Drakensberg Traverse  which was on very technical terrain. It was really painful at times but I just kept focusing on the positives and not the actual pain.

The L.A Dosage: You've really mastered your craft. Where do you see yourself in let's say 5 years' time?

Ryan Sandes: I hope to still be running as that's what I love. Sure I won't always be able to race but I still want to love running when I am 50 years old. I have a few free running projects I would love to take on and have also started a Sports Management Company with my friend Ryno Griesel.

The L.A Dosage: Out of all the trails that you've done, which one stands out for you?

Ryan Sandes: Locally one of my favourite trails is the Otter Trail and internationally, would be Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc which is pretty epic.

The L.A Dosage: In addition to competing and winning races; you've recently launched a book, 'Trail Blazer'. Tell us a bit about that.

Ryan Sandes: Facebook

Ryan Sandes: Trail Blazer is about my life to date. I never aspired to be a runner but now running means so much to me. I talk about what I have learnt through my experiences and then I have included a number of reader take-outs for endurance athletes. I hope by telling my story that I will inspire other people to go out and live their dreams.

[Trail Blazer is available in select bookstores nationwide.]

The L.A Dosage: As an elite athlete, you've got amazing sponsors. Tell us more about them, and how have they helped you to achieve your goals?

Ryan Sandes: Yes I have been really lucky to have some awesome ‘dream givers’. They have enabled me to live my dreams and the life I live today. They are Velocity Sports Lab, Salomon, Red Bull, Cross Country Insurance, Suunto and Oakley.


Kelvin Trautman
The L.A Dosage: What advice do you give to aspiring trail runners?

Ryan Sandes: Its never too late to start running and enjoy the trails. The hardest part is always that first step out the door and the rest is a lot easier. I find that it's really important to focus on enjoying your run and not on how fast you are running, the rest will come. Enjoy it as we live in such a beautiful country.

The L.A Dosage: Last but not least, where can the fans and fellow readers catch you on social media?

Ryan Sandes: They can catch me on the following:

Facebook: RyanSandes (athlete page)


Twitter: @RyanSandes

Instagram: @RyanSandes

That's a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage. Ryan was a good sport in this interview and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours and may his feet lead him to much greater heights.

*Ryan was on his way to race the Ultra Trail Australia at the time of this interview.

Till next time. . .

Comments

  1. Hello,
    My name is Lauren and I am currently working on a PhD thesis about sport and identity in english-speaking countries. Among the US, Ireland and England, I chose South Africa that displays many interests and challenges in this field. I would love to have you as a contribution to my work through email interviews and maybe stats (if possible). Would you be interested in any participation? If you want me to tell you more about my task, feel free to ask. I would be glad to respond.
    All my best regards,

    Lauren

    ____
    PhD student
    English studies
    UCBN
    https://twitter.com/xLolipopx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment