Exclusive: Jeremy Brockie chats to The L.A Dosage

The Kiwi has won over the PSL fans 
Jeremy Brockie
New Zealand and SuperSport United player Jeremy Brockie has had a decorated football career which has seen him make a big move to South Africa. He has become one of the PSL's top goal scorers, going on to win his very first professional cup and clinching the Nedbank Cup Player for the 2015/16 season. 

The L.A Dosage had a chat to him about his top season and his future plans as the 2016/17 campaign approaches.

The L.A Dosage: First of all, congratulations on such a successful 2015/16 season.

Jeremy Brockie: Thank you! We as a club had very high hopes before the season started last year and were very disappointed with the first half. Stuart Baxter came in and did a fantastic job to turn things around and brought the confidence back into the squad. We managed to get back into the Top 8 and were delighted to win the Nedbank Cup.

SuperSport- Nedbank Cup 2016 winners
The L.A Dosage: You were named the Nedbank Cup Player of the Season, and your club won the Nedbank Cup. Take us through the emotions you felt.

Jeremy Brockie: It was my first professional cup final and the buildup to the day was brilliant; the media hype and the buzz around the club was top notch. Facing a big club like Pirates made the occasion more special and then to lift the trophy was a great feeling. Being named the Player of the Tournament made it a little more special and I have my teammates to thank for that.

The L.A Dosage: Let's take it back to when you were a young kid. Where did it all start for you?

Jeremy Brockie: I grew up in a little city called Nelson in New Zealand. The opportunities, coming from a smaller city, were very slim, so when I was 16 I moved to Christchurch, where I was born. A year later I signed my first professional contract – a dream come true.

Jeremy Brockie in SuperSport United outfit
The L.A Dosage: You've had quite a decorated football career back in New Zealand. What was the highlight of your career there?

Jeremy Brockie: I have many career highlights and its hard to narrow them all down but two that stick out above the rest for me are: being the first New Zealand football player to score a goal at the Olympics against the hosts China in front of a packed house and then the ultimate highlight being representing NZ at the 2010 World Cup here in SA. 

The L.A Dosage: You made the move to South Africa that saw you sign with SuperSport United. Take us through that decision to move miles away from home.

Jeremy Brockie: I was looking for a change really.I’d played in the A-league for a very long time and it began to get quite repetitive so I needed to challenge myself somewhere else in the World.The Supersport opportunity came about when we played Bafana in a friendly in NZ and Gordon Igesund was the coach. So when he landed the SSU job my phone rang and it was perfect timing. I’m glad I’ve made the move here as I’m loving it on and off the pitch here in SA.

The L.A Dosage: Obviously each country has different styles of football. What are the vast differences between New Zealand and South Africa?

Jeremy Brockie: The styles are very different and I get asked this question a lot. I guess the big difference is that where I come from most clubs like to build up from the back and very possession-based. Whereas here in SA it's very attacking and end-to-end. Obviously, every player has their own opinion and different leagues suit different players, I feel at home here in SA and love the football and scoring goals.

The L.A Dosage: It was a great season for you in the PSL without a doubt. Take us through the positives and negatives and how you hope to improve in the 2016/17 campaign.

Jeremy Brockie: The positives were lifting the Nedbank cup and getting the Player of the tournament for sure. I was reasonably happy with my overall total of goals but very disappointed only managing 11 in the league. I want to get more than that this season and I believe I will. I also want to pass the 20 goal mark too which is definitely within reach.

Brockie in action for SuperSport
The L.A Dosage: How do you manage the hectic schedules and family life. Do you think that contributes a fair amount to your mindset when approaching each training and game day?

Jeremy Brockie: I love my family. I have a lovely wife and two beautiful kids. They have settled well here in SA and they support me very much in what I do. With their support, I know I can go to work every day; enjoy myself and play with a smile on my face.

The L.A Dosage: Where do you see yourself in 5 years time and do you see yourself hanging up your national boots anytime soon?

Jeremy Brockie: I’m currently in talks with SSU to extend my stay at the club. I’d like to thin in 5 years. I've added a lot more trophies to my cabinet and am still putting the ball into the back of the net. On the international scene, we have just qualified for the confederations Cup next year in Russia and I’d love to be there in that tournament for the second time.

The L.A Dosage: Let's end off on a lighter note. What is your message to the loyal fans of Matsantsantsa?

Jeremy Brockie: Thanks for all the support since I’ve been in SA. You guys are brilliant and we will lift more trophies this season coming. Baxter has added some fantastic players to the squad and I’m sure you guys are just as excited as myself. See you guys in August!!

SuperSport United FC logo
The L.A Dosage: Where can we find you on social media?

Jeremy Brockie: You can find me on Twitter and Instagram on the following:

Twitter: @JRBrockie

Instagram: @JeremyBrockie11

That's a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ. We would like to wish Brockie and SuperSport United, an even better 2016/17 season. #Matsantsantsa
Till next time. . .  

Comments

  1. Top player. It was quite a show; watching him this past season. Looking forward to seeing him. Give us more mate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment