Local female fighter meets The L.A Dosage

Last Fighter Standing is not ready for "The Machine"

Razell Mohamed & Chantelle Van Schalkwyk
Razell Mohamed is a fighter with a kickboxing style fighting out of Lions Boxing & Fitness Gym in Port Elizabeth. We first met her at Last Fighter Standing when it launched in Cape Town back in July.  Although she has not won any fighting titles, she remains undefeated in her division.


Here's what the lady champ had to say when we interviewed her:

The L.A Dosage: Who is Razell Mohamed in a few words?

Razell: I am a multifaceted person. I’m a teacher, musician, fighter, poker player, etc. I’m a jack of all trades so I try my hand at everything and I’m a perfectionist so whatever I do, I try to do it to the best of my ability.

The L.A Dosage: How did you get into MMA, and do you see it being a future career for you?

Razell: A family friend, Sensei Mervyn January introduced me to kickboxing in 2006 and I have been doing it ever since. I have always wanted to be a professional fighter and would like to make a career of it someday.

The L.A Dosage: What is your discipline?

Razell: My base fighting style is kickboxing. I hold a second dan black belt and I am one of the sensei’s at the club I own with others. I have done some other forms of martial arts such as boxing and Muay Thai as well.

Razell Mohamed
The L.A Dosage: There are obviously very few female fighters in South Africa and the world is still recognising females. How do you feel about this kind of stereotype?

Razell: I can understand it to some extent. Full contact fighting is a vicious sport. Women are known for their feminine traits and seeing a woman throwing or taking a punch can be something the world needs time to get used to. I am glad however that women are getting more exposure now and maybe this will inspire other women to take up the sport as well.


The L.A Dosage: Do you feel like female fighters still have more to prove amongst their male counterparts?


Razell: I do. Fighting was never considered a sport for women. Although things have changed over the years, we still have a lot to prove and show why we deserve to be here.


The L.A Dosage: What is your favourite strike/submission to use in any fight?


Razell: I love using my legs so any kicks are my favourite moves. Namely low kicks and roundhouse kicks.


Razell doing what she does best in the ring
The L.A Dosage: What goes into a day of training in preparation for a fight?

Razell:I usually run between 5 – 10km, then work the heavy bag alone at home for about and hour, then head to the club to train with my trainer and sparring partners for about 2 hours.


The L.A Dosage: You are obviously in preparation for the Last Fighter Standing finale happening later this year. Tell us more about your preparation?


Razell:I will keep training as hard as I am right now, but will be kicking things up a few notches. I am doing this all in my spare time though so I can only train so much in a day. I’ve recently changed camps and am now fighting out of Lions Boxing K1 and Fitness Gym and my trainer is Ivan Strydom.


Ivan De Vries and Razell Mohamed
The L.A Dosage: Who/what is your inspiration and how has this motivated you in your fighting career?

Razell: Many boxers like Mike Tyson and especially female boxers namely; Laila Ali, Lucia Rijker and Holly Holm are inspirations to me. They have paved the way for the rest of us female fighters and motivated me to fight and train harder to also achieve success someday.


The L.A Dosage:If you could have a dream fight, tomorrow, who would it be?


Razell:I’d love to fight Ronda Rousey but I’ll need a lot more experience for that.


The L.A Dosage: What titles and ranks have you held so far?


Razell:I don’t hold any titles yet but I am undefeated in my division.


Razell Mohamed and Chantelle Van Schalkwyk
The L.A Dosage:What do you think makes you stand out from other female fighters in your division?

Razell:I think I have the heart of a lion. Anyone can fight but not everyone has the heart. It will take everything my opponent has to get me down. I never give up and I’m tenacious. I hate losing to anyone.


The L.A Dosage:What do you want to be remembered for at the end of your career?


Razell:My humble nature and to show that fighters can also be nice people. We don’t have to trash talk each other. Settle things in the ring. We have lost the art in martial arts and I will always carry that with me.


The L.A Dosage:What is your message to aspiring female fighters?


Razell:The stage is being set for female fighters to really display what they can do. There are now many platforms for us to showcase our talents. So never give up if you have a dream. If fighting is what you truly want to do, then don’t take it lightly and give it everything you've got.


Where can the fans find you on social media:

Facebook: Razell Mohamed




Ladies and gentlemen! That's a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ; we wish 'The Machine' all the success as she sets to step in the Last Fighter Standing ring later in October, in Johannesburg.



Till next time. . . 


Comments