Getting to know the Bidvest Wits sensation

Mhango talks about his move to The Clever Boys taking centre stage

Malawian born Gabadinho Mhango has played club football for Brave Warriors, Big Bullets, Bloemfontein Celtic and Golden Arrows. He made his international debut for Malawi back in 2012 and currently plays for Johannesburg-based outfit, Bidvest Wits. 

Mhango, affectionately known as Gaba to the football crowds recently spoke to The L.A Dosage about football back home and singing coach, Gavin Hunt's praises. 

Gabadinho Mhango | www.soccerladuma.co.za
The L.A Dosage: Thank you for chatting to us. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Gabadinho Mhango: I was born in Chiweta, Rumphi situated in the northern part of Malawi. I am the first born in a family of 4.

The L.A Dosage:  What are the vast differences between football in Malawi and South Africa? 

Gabadinho Mhango: The standard of play is way different from SA. Malawian football is not as monetised as it is here so technically, it's already a difference. The way the teams operate, media, fans and players is completely different. In SA, there are many major teams but back home there are many small teams that are isolated which are regarded as top teams. It's still exciting because it's football.

The L.A Dosage: Who was your greatest inspiration that led you into football?

Gabadinho Mhango: My greatest drive to play football was due to the confidence I had in it being the only thing I am capable of and with said, it was all worth it including all the obstacles I surpassed. My father and grandfather were also footballers and that also helped shape my dream.

The L.A Dosage: Which players would be in your dream team in a World Cup?

Gabadinho Mhango: (Haha this tricky.) I would choose Thabang Monare, Esau Kanyenda, Gerald Phiri, Ronaldo, Cavani, Eden Hazard,Luiz,Wangu, Daine Klate and Darren Keet.

[We noticed he mentioned some great Clever Boys there ;)]

The Clever Boys
The L.A Dosage: You landed up in one of the top teams in the PSL, Bidvest Wits. Tell us more about that move and do you feel that you've reached your ultimate goal in the league?

Gabadinho Mhango: There comes a time in life that growth takes centre stage and the move was one for me. I am grateful for everyone who has supported me in anyway in order for me to settle in my new team; from the coaches, panel, to the players and overall supporters. We are not where we are destined to be, but we are getting there and still pushing for bigger things.


The L.A Dosage: What do you consider should be the purpose or goal of football as a whole?

Gabadinho Mhango: Football is the only language that substitutes music. It is there to lift us up, motivate us, send messages of different cultures and believes, it is soul satisfying. - It is a dream. A passion, a job and most importantly fair play. It's intentions should be the experience and unity of people as one.

[Wow! How incredible is that. Talk about heartfelt passion.]

The L.A Dosage: What was one of your greatest moments as a footballer? 

Gabadinho Mhango: Oh wow. When I got my first goal for Bidvest Wits, it was a very special highlight for me. The coach (Gavin Hunt) believed in me and I am forever grateful.

The L.A Dosage: What are your goals for this season? 

Gabadinho Mhango: To be better in each passing game. Focus. And to get hold of all things that matter to my career.

The L.A Dosage: How can the fans reach you on social media?

Facebook: Gabadinho Mhango

Twitter: @gabadinhoFlames

Instagram: @gabadinhomhango


That is a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ. Mhango is certainly going places from what we've witnessed as long as he remains focused and consistent. What a trooper!

Till next time. . . 

Comments