Jerrie: "I am positive that I'll be able to land most of my tricks."

Van De Kop ready to dominate King of the Air
Jerrie VD Kop: www.robertoriccidesigns.com
Jerrie Van De Kop is hails all the way from Hoorn in The Netherlands well known for his signature move, the megaloop late roll. He has previously made the Red Bull King of the Air podium when he came third and aims to impress when the competition heats up.

The L.A Dosage crew sat down with him and had a chat about Cape Town being the capital for kitesurfers and why he thinks his consistency will be a winning point for him at King of the Air. Van De Kop will be joined by two Frenchmen - Antonin Rangin and Tom Hebert in Heat 5. IT'S ON!

Jerrie Van De Kop
The L.A Dosage: How did you initially get into kitesurfing?

Jerrie VD Kop: My dad used to be a windsurfer and my family has a small beach house in Holland, that's basically where I grew up. My dad eventually went into a kitesurfing and I followed suit. I always looked up to my dad growing and wanted to get involved in every sport he was doing. 

(Boys will always be boys)

The L.A Dosage: Kitesurfing must take you to some fantastic places. Which has been your favourite so far?

Jerrie VD Kop: Every location has something special about it but I love Cape Town the most, followed by Brazil, Egypt, Morocco. I love Cape Town especially because it has different kinds of conditions from flat water (lagoons) to waves which can be found at every coast to be honest.


Jerry Van De Kop: @romantsovaphoto
The L.A Dosage: Besides King of the Air, which other major competitions do you have lined up?

Jerrie VD Kop: I still need to make a plan for this year. For the past 2/3 years I used to be on the World Tour which is the freestyle tour, that makes it 8 competitions a year. I have decided to start focusing more on 'Big Air' competitions instead of the freestyle because I had a surgery (hernia) on my back and had another one again, so I'd rather chill with the freestyle competitions.

The L.A Dosage: Why do you think Cape Town (Big Bay) is the best location for competitions such as King of the Air?

Jerrie VD Kop: When it comes to King of the Air, we are searching for the strongest winds and awesome waves to jump as high as possible. I think Cape Town is a good location because it's very windy during high season and the waves are just about right making it easier for us; take for instance last year we had the strongest winds and biggest waves and managed to jump really high. Big Bay is also a lovely place for the spectators to hang out afterwards. Great environment for sure. 

The L.A Dosage: What is your discipline?

Jerrie VD Kop: Freestyle and big air


Jerrie Van De Kop
The L.A Dosage: Who do you think will be your biggest competition going into King of the Air?

Jerrie VD Kop: Jeez. . . all 17 riders are my biggest competition to be honest. If you are part of KOTA it's definitely something special because you have the 18 riders from all over the competing in one spot, anything can happen on the day. The first heat could be the final, you never know. I am just going to go out there and do my best.

The L.A Dosage: Speaking of the riders, how do you all get chosen to compete?

Jerrie VD Kop: Ah! You are basically chosen by the judges who pick the top 10 category; if you didn't make that first cut then you have to submit an online video for the judges and they will make their choice.


Jerrie Van De Kop
The L.A Dosage: What do you think will be a positive trait for you in King of the Air as opposed to the other riders?

Jerrie VD Kop: Mmm. . . I could say that I am a consistent kitesurfer. I know what I can do (slight pause) I am basically aware of my abilities and I am positive that I'll be able to land most of my tricks. I hope to show that on the day of the competition. 

The L.A Dosage: In your opinion, what can the fans look forward to on the day?

Jerrie VD Kop: I think we will all try and put on a big show and jump as high as possible and a lot of the riders will try and push themselves. I plan on doing that myself - I just want to fly high to the sky (laughs).


To keep up with Jerrie and what he gets up to in the water, stay tuned to the website Red Bull King of the Air or you can alternatively follow him on the following social media:

Facebook: Jerrie van de Kop - Kiteboarding

Instagram: @jerrievandekop

*DISCLAIMER* The L.A Dosage would like to wish all the athletes competing in the Red Bull King of the Air the best of luck and we certainly hope the winds be in your favour on the day. #kingoftheair

Till next time. . . 

Comments