The L.A Dosage chats to Akani Simbine

The sprinter that made history at the 2016 Rio Olympics

Akani Simbine is a South African sprinter. He competed in the 100 metres event at the 2013 World Championships in Athletics and 2016 Summer Olympics. He finished fifth in 9.94 seconds in the 100m final of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro on 14 August 2016.

We managed to get hold of him to catch up and find out his thoughts on the Olympics and his plans for this year as he will be heading to London for the IAAF World Championships.

The L.A Dosage: What's life been like for you since dominating the track in Rio among some of the world's greatest athletes?

Akani Simbine: It's been really great. I achieved my goals and I'm very motivated to achieve more in the new season. 

The L.A Dosage: Does it feel like you are living your dream yet?

Akani Simbine: Yes it does. I've always said that I wanted to be one of the fastest men in the world and I can confidently say that I am one and I'm a professional athlete which is also part of my dream. 

city-press.news24.co.za
The L.A Dosage: Where does your story really begin?

Akani Simbine: When I was in my early teenage years, I always dreamt of being a professional soccer player and that's all I wanted. It all changed when I started doing track and had to make a choice between the 2 sports and I ended up choosing track. It was a huge risk because track wasn't so popular and I didn't know much about it and I didn't even know if I could make a career out of it. Back in 2012, I was a nobody that went to Zambia for the Zone 6 Games and broke the SA junior record for the 100m with a time of 10.19 and from then on it's been up and down but a great journey. From being the second fastest South African to being the fastest man in South Africa, fastest man in the continent and the 5th fastest man on the planet, it's been quite a blessing. 

The L.A Dosage: Do you think you were successful from the start?

Akani Simbine: Not really because when I started I never won anything and people kept leaving me behind. 

The L.A Dosage: Lining up to the final as a historic feat in itself. How does it feel knowing you're the first SA man to make it to the 100m event since 1932?

Akani Simbine: It's great knowing that and motivating because I want to keep on doing more and aim to do greater things. 

The L.A Dosage: Which would you regard as your personal best in your career?

Akani Simbine: The 9.89 race and the Olympic final

The L.A Dosage: Track and field is still relatively growing in South Africa. Do you see further potential growth as a whole and for the athletes?

Akani Simbine: Yes. More sponsors are coming to the party and investing in athletics and the athletes. More athletes are performing well in international competition so we are definitely growing  

Akani Simbine| www.iaaf.org
The L.A Dosage: Do you still feel like you are at the point of having to prove yourself constantly?

Akani Simbine: With this sport you always have to because you have to keep running fast and training hard so that you can perform to the best of your ability each time you get to run. 

The L.A Dosage: Up next, IAAF World Championships in London. Tell us more about that and what are your goals in preparation for the event?

Akani Simbine: Well for me I just really want to do better than I did last year at the Olympics 100m and also to do compete in the 200m because I feel like I have unfinished business with it. 

Akani Simbine| www.elle.co.za
The L.A Dosage: Lastly, what are your goals for the year and what is your message to your fans?

Akani Simbine: My goals are to do better than last year as a whole and be more of an inspiration to others with dreams. To the fans, I'd like to say that I am really grateful for their support and that they must keep on supporting and believing in me because I am working towards doing best! 

You can find Akani on the following social media handles to stay in touch with his work: 

Twitter: @AkaniSimbine

Instagram: @akani_simbine

That is a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ. Akani is certainly going places from what we've witnessed with his consistency and dedication. Best of luck for your future endeavours!

Till next time. . . 

Comments