Aubrey Ngoma on his best season yet

Cape Town City star Ngoma expressed his delight on finishing as the highest assist in the PSL 2016/17 season

The 2016/17 PSL season has come to be the best football season for Ngoma as a professional, managing to finish with the highest assists making that 16 altogether - and netting seven goals to contribute to Cape Town City's success.

The former Orlando Pirates and University of Pretoria (AmaTuks) winger's dedication contribution to the team hasn't been in vain. He is now reaping the rewards of his work through nominations in three categories – Telkom Knockout Player of the Tournament, Absa Premiership Midfielder of the Season and Absa Premiership Player's Player of the Season.

The L.A Dosage had a chat with the man of the moment reminiscing about his personal best highlights of the season and his future plans. 

The L.A Dosage: What a season it's been for you. Take us through your personal best highlights. 

Aubrey Ngoma: Personally to finish as the highest assisting player is massive and encouraging for me...It gives me pleasure that my hard work paid off and the stats are there to show for it.

The L.A Dosage: You and Manyama were the talk of the football streets this season and gave us some of the best football. What was the ingredient to such a successful combo? 

Aubrey Ngoma: There's no any ingredients really it's just a matter of two footballers having a good understanding and relationship on-and-off the field. He knew my movements and I knew him - I understood how where and when he wants the ball exactly like how he understood me. We just love football we even speak about it even when we just chilling having lunch or something.


The L.A Dosage: How was it playing alongside Manyama and having him as the captain? 

Aubrey Ngoma: He is a quality player and a good person overall. The armband gave him that inner drive inside to lead the team to the top and he showed it throughout the season that he can lead the team. It was a pleasure to be feeding off and learning from him this past season

The L.A Dosage: Who do you personally think was the best player/s this whole season?

Aubrey Ngoma: I really can't single out one player because we had players doing massively for their respective teams. Tyson had a great season leading Wits to PSL and MTN8 titles. Percy was massive for Sundowns when most of the strikers were injured and he led the team from the front with goals and assists and Lebo (Manyama) was exceptional in getting us all important goals to stay in contention of the league for most part of the season. I personally had a season of my life with the contributions I made through assists and the few goals I scored.

The L.A Dosage: From winning the TKO in the club's 144th day of formation and finishing third on the log. What do you think you guys different than the other teams this past season? 

Aubrey Ngoma: There's not much different we did - I think we just wanted to create history with the club and were determined to do anything to make that possible every individual in the team; be it staff members or team driver or players, everyone did their jobs to the best of their abilities to help the team succeed and that's all we needed from everybody.

Cape Town City crowned as Telkom Knockout champions
The L.A Dosage: Rumour has it that clubs like Mamelodi Sundowns are gunning for you. Are you aware of these offers and considering them at some point?

Aubrey Ngoma: I'm contracted to Cape Town City and whoever is interested will contact the club and we will take it from there. 

The L.A Dosage: Now with Benni taking over the reigns, what do you think he might do different with the team as opposed to Tinkler and what do you expect out of him? 

Aubrey Ngoma: I don't know how Benny is as a coach but I know he was a winner as a player so it's nothing different to Eric. He always prepared us to play every game to win which I would believe Benny will do as well. They are both winners. I expect dedication, hard work, discipline, professionalism and a lot of enjoyment from him as he has played at the highest level possible.

Benni McCarthy with assistant coach Ian Taylor
The L.A Dosage: What are your words of wisdom to your new coach? 

Aubrey Ngoma: I wish him all the best and I hope he enjoys working with a bunch of talented hardworking players we have and I hope he adds to our knowledge and we add to his

The L.A Dosage: Congratulations on your PSL nominations. Well deserved. Which accolade are you hoping to take away on the night? 

Aubrey Ngoma: Thank you very much. I would honestly love to take all of them home; it's nice to be nominated but it would be even a bigger motivation for next season if I win them but I also understand I'm nominated with exceptional players so it won't be easy.

The L.A Dosage: Any preseason plans/games in the pipeline? 

Ngoma after a successful knee operation
Aubrey Ngoma: My preseason plans are to focus on healing and getting full recovery from my knee surgery and come back even stronger and better.

The L.A Dosage: What are you most looking forward to come 2017/18 season?

Aubrey Ngoma: I'm looking to continue improving and maturing as a player I just want to add on to my last season stats and hopefully to have even better numbers in terms of goals and assists 


You can find Aubrey Ngoma on the following social media platforms:

Twitter: @aubreyngoma11

Instagram: @aubreyngoma


That's a wrap from us at The L.A Dosage HQ. We wish Aubrey a speedy recovery and trust he will sweep the PSL awards clean. 

Till next season. Happy off season!

Comments