Catching up with 2017 King of the Air winner Nick Jacobsen

"It can be anyone's day with a bit of luck on your side"
Craig Kolesky/Red Bull Content Pool
Red Bull King of the Air made its way back to Cape Town shores on Saturday, January 27 with a new venue, Kite Beach in Blouberg. 

The wind was pumping and the sun was blazing which were just the perfect conditions for the most prestigious event in kiteboarding. All the athletes brought their A-game on the day with so many favourites and the crowds roaring with much plenty excitement. 

The L.A Dosage was present on the day and we caught up with last year's winner, Nick Jacobsen, who is out on an injury on his leg after a kiting session a couple of weeks ago. He was replaced by Spanish native, Liam Whaley who did exceptionally well on the day althgpouh he didn't progress to round 4. Here is what the champ had to say: 

Aaron Hadlow, Nick Jacobsen, Ruben Lenten| Craig Kolesky/Red Bull Content Pool 
The L.A Dosage: Great to see you again after so long since you won last year; but you've got an injury now which sees you not competing. Take us through what happened

Nick Jacobsen: Three weeks ago, I went kiting with my good friend Graham (Howes) and it was a sweet session. It wasn't too windy or anything like that. I suppose I was enjoying and miscalculated my landing and crashed. I basically broke my fibular in half and tore all my ligaments in my foot; I had a biog surgery and got 8 screws. It's part of the sport though, we all know we will get injured at some point whether it's in a competition or not. 

The L.A Dosage: Winning for you last year was beyond great and even stunned the crowds because it was so unexpected. Now you are injured, surely you should be anxious to get into the water and compete? How are you taking all of this? 

Nick Jacobsen: To be honest, I thought it was going to be an annoying day on the beach but its all been pretty good, the atmosphere, the weather - everything. All these guys who have been competing are all good friends of mine, so I have been enjoying rooting for them on the sidelines. I am really glad I won last year, because if I didn' t I would've been so anxious to get out there. I am just trying to stay positive. It's all a mind game at the end of it all. 

The L.A Dosage: Take us through how it felt winning the ultimate crown and how life has been since then?

Nick Jacobsen: King of the Air is such a prestigious event in kiteboarding; just managing to make the podium is a huge deal. It was and still is so unreal when I won. I got super emotional and almost cried, but I didn't. **(laughs)**. It's something no one can take away from you, which is why I am not bummed that I can't compete because I have already made it and I am super happy about that. 

Aaron Hadlow and Nick Jacobsen| Tyrone Bradley/Red Bull Content Pool
The L.A Dosage: What preparations go into such an event such as King of the Air?

Nick Jacobsen: **laughs** For me absolutely zero because if I change too much then it messes up my flow and make unnecessary mistakes. I am happy with the way I ride during my free time so if I change then I get too anxious; so I'd rather go out there and do my thing the best way I can. Obviously, I do look at my lines when I kite but it's not like I do yoga or anything different.

The L.A Dosage: Who are the possible top performers for you and who is likely to take the crown this year?

Nick Jacobsen: Ah! You know last year I was very lucky. It was my day and I landed everything perfectly. It can really be anyone's day.  On the other hand, if you have a lot of stress or dealing with some personal issues then you won't be focused as you should be. This a sport of massive focus. I have a few guys in mind like Jesse Richman who's been crushing then there is also Josh Emanuel. There are so many good guys out there. May the best man win.
Well you heard it here from the main himself. What a great guy and athlete altogether, we are rather bummed that we won't be seeing him defend his title but his win is still as memorable. We wish Nick Jacobsen a speedy recovery.

Catch us on Tuesday if all systems go for another round of epic kiteboarding. 

Till next time. . . 

Comments